SSBP represents employers of all sizes with issues involving Federal, State and local laws that impact the employment relationship. We have extensive experience in in labor and employment law and provide a full range of legal services to employers, including:
- Union avoidance through training and developing employee manuals and forms.
- Representation of employers in negotiations and contract administration.
- Employer counseling and advice on a wide variety of discrimination laws regarding employee issues. We defend clients before governmental agencies and in court if an accusation of discrimination or retaliation arises.
- Compliance advice on U.S. Department of Labor and Texas Workforce Commission claims, particularly with respect to classification of workers as employees or contractors. We also handle cases in which workers’ claim overtime compensation.
- OSHA inspections and negotiations for a resolution of penalties proposed, breach of contract claims and handling employment tort claims, such as breach of fiduciary duty, fraud, and non-compete cases.
- Claims involving wrongful discharge and retaliation under various Federal and State statutes. When complex litigation arises, our labor and employment attorneys work closely with trial lawyers at SSBP who have extensive litigation experience.
- When a client approaches SSBP regarding a labor or employment law concern, we schedule an initial meeting at the client’s place of business to understand how the business works and to meet the individuals responsible for carrying out the policies of the employer. We conduct an audit of employee-related activities, discuss existing workplace policies and procedures, and make recommendations for improving them when warranted. At SSBP we strive to maximize the effective and efficient operation of the business while providing timely advice for dealing with a particular situation.